Sunday, April 12, 2009

POLITCAL MUSINGS

PART 1- WHO GETS MY VOTE

There are 5 days for the General Elections to begin and I still am not sure who I should vote for

My political view:

Am a moderate right with a soft corner for the BJP.

Am strongly anti-Congress who dislikes the Gandhi dynasty.

My options:

Being a voter in the Chennai Central where the BJP does not have a strong presence and this time around no allies as well, logically the choices are the fronts led by Amma (mother) and Thatha (grandfather). Big J or frail K ?

That’s really encouraging.. Wah! hhhhhmmmmm…

Ground Reality and My Views:

The Omni Present Karunanidhi is with the Congress, but am sure given a choice he would have loved to join the Third Front which would have given more flexibility. But unfortunately for him Jaya pipped him and he had to stick with the Congress. It’s more likely that K will stick with the Congress which is propping up his minority govt in Tamil Nadu which definitely is his first priority right now. Things are not going too good for K of late. He was in the news when he celebrated his eighty something(god knows how old he is ) birthday the same day when the world was chanting ‘Change’ and muttering the name Obama , moving Tamil New Year’s day form April 14th to Pongal, splitting with the PMK after a lot of fiery exchanges and now the Tamil Eelam issue. More bad times ahead with his front facing a tough challenge form ADMK

Jalyalalitha’s ADMK is with the Opportunistic Alliance, I mean the Third Front. But I am sure nothing is certain. J has so far made the right moves and keeping options open to strike at the right time with the right alliance. From being a strong critic of Sonia’s foreign origin by attacking Sonia at every opportunity and publicly opposing her for the PM’s post ,she has toned her aggression that definitely suggests she is open to the supporting the Congress. Always known for soft Hindtuva, an alliance with the BJP would not come as a surprise as at all...Right now she is with a group of other opportunistic parties like hers who have no idea where they stand. There is something eerie about J which gives me a feeling she is up to something big. Is she up to something big or has she learnt not to count her chickens before they hatch. Knowing her and the plain fact that she is a politician makes me pick option a

What is puzzling making me uneasy is how she is allowing Mayawati to take all the attention and remaining a very peripheral figure in the coalition. Jaya’s PM aspirations are very well documented; the alliance arithmetic is with her, all the exit polls point to ADMK victory so in all probability she is going to be the Kingmaker.

But for the first time, it is not J not K on National TV. It’s V who is making the national news from Tamil Nadu. V as in Vaiko. Making hate speeches always reminds us that it is election time. This time there were two Vs who made hate speeches. Always known for a Pro-LTTE stand, V’s stunning hate speech on the SriLankan Government in support of the LTTE has made even J and K take shelter in silence. The good orator in V seized the opportune time and made anti-Eelam parties like Congress and even J’s ADMK become mute spectators. How on earth is V still free? This is a sad reflection of the state of Indian Politics. A FIR has been filed but if the TN got arrests him, V will become a martyr and the probability of ADMK‘s front victory will become all the more bright.

How can I not think of the PMK when thinking about whom to vote? If there is one party which I despise, it’s the PMK. The most opportunistic party with a ruffian at the helm. Though I grudgingly agree Anbumani Ramdoss was one of the better performing ministers , my dislike for them has grown when they shifted loyalties from DMK and ADMK after enjoying power for 5 yrs and then made an atrocious statements gloating about the fact that the front they are a part of always wins.. What a bunch of intolerable people. I just hate them

As I sit here thinking about my options and looking at the jokers around me I am finding it so hard to decide who to vote for. It definitely is not DMK and Congress so it has to be J’s ADMK. But I have still not forgotten how J misused the votes to bring down the 13 day NDA got , trusting J with my vote is like giving candy to a young kid . So a portion of me is telling me not to vote for her. BJP is going alone and am not even sure if they are contesting from my constituency. So that’s ruled out as well.

Should I even vote for one of these useless politicians wasting the tax payer’s money? Of course I should as an Indian citizen and knowing very well that if I don’t vote some X/Y/Z would anyways misuse my franchise. Since the D-DAY in Tamil Nadu is still some way of I still have many more days to ponder over and get confused thinking of the lesser evil. Any suggestions??

How I hope that the one man whom the entire Tamil Nadu wants to enter politics takes the electoral plunge. The stage is set for him. But being a realist I know he can’t change the system nor win the elections overnight but at least my choice would become easier.

Some of you might think I am wasting my time since I would not be exercising my franchise since I am so far away from home. But it’s high time the young Indian community takes more interest in politics. Though I don’t expect us to take the political plunge, I seriously think we the younger generation ought to taking more interest in Indian politics and at least exercise our franchise by selecting the right people to rule us.

To all those who have a chance to vote, please do so intelligently.

Make full use of your voting rights.

No comments: